How to request a loan
We need a written request by letter addressed to the General Director Berndt Arell or by e-mail to . If you send your request by e-mail, please attach the letter as a pdf.
For exhibitions outside Sweden, we ask you to send your request at least 8 months before the exhibition opens.
The request should contain the following information:
- the exhibition’s title and period
- the name of the borrowing institution and the place of the venue
- a description of the exhibition and reasons motivating the loan
- a list of the requested artwork(s), with Nationalmuseum’s inventory number if possible
- contact info to the exhibition’s curator and/or administrator
Click here to search the requested artwork(s) in the museum's digital database.
Standard Faciltity Report
Please attach a completed and signed Standard Facility Report to your loan application. This report documents the safety and climate conditions and can be downloaded here:
Standard Facility Report (word).
More information in
Example Loan Agreement (pdf)
Procedure for loans
- All incoming loan applications are processed by loan administrators See contact info below.
- All applications are submitted to Nationalmuseum’s Loan Committee which takes place about 10 times a year.
- The Loan Committee is advisory; the formal decision is taken at the Nationalmseum’s monthly board meeting.
- Decisions on loans are notified by letter after the Board’s decision. If the loan is granted, a Loan Agreement is sent to the borrower.
How long does it take?
We process all loan applications as quick as possible. However, for various reasons the final decision may sometimes take a few months.
What are the costs?
The administrative fee for loans outside Sweden is currently 3 000 SEK/object and the conservator’s fee is 1 500 SEK/object. The borrower takes upon all other costs directly associated with the loan.
Why are certain loans not granted?
The most common reasons for application not to be granted are:
- The condition of the objects makes them too fragile to travel.
- The borrower does not meet the required safety and climate conditions.
- The requested objects are already included in other exhibition projects.
You may contact our Loans Administrator by phone:
Audrey Lebioda, +46 (0)8-5195 4378
Åsa Svedberg, +46 (0)8-5195 5523
Or by e-mail: