The Royal Museum,formerly located in the palace, was the forerunner of the Museum of Antiquities, and of Nationalmuseum. It opened in 1794 as one of the world’s first public art museums. It was founded in memory of Gustav III and featured treasures of antique Roman sculpture, which was greatly admired in the Neoclassical era. The majority of the sculptures were acquired by Gustav III during his visit to Italy in 1783–84.
When Nationalmuseum opened in 1866 in its present building on Blasieholmen, the art collections were moved from the palace to the new location. However, the antique sculptures eventually returned to their original Swedish home when Gustav III’s Museum of Antiquities opened in 1958.
Just like the 18th century
Since 1958, the collection has expanded to include modern sculpture and some plaster casts. The museum is a reconstruction of the grand gallery in the most prestigious room of the former Royal Museum. In 1992 the smaller gallery was also restored to its original condition. The sculptures are arranged in the galleries exactly as they were originally displayed.
Information for visitors
See The Royal Court web site.
Gustav III’s Museum of Antiquities.