Läckö Castle

Läckö Castle, on Kållandsö near Lidköping, is an impressive Baroque building with over 200 rooms.

There are few buildings in Sweden where the march of history is more apparent than Läckö Castle. The castle is like a sleeping beauty, where time seems to have stood still. Because it never underwent any of the stylistic renovations popular in the late 19th century, today’s visitors can still see the original interior fixtures in all their 17th-century splendour.

Turrets and pinnacles on Lake Vänern

Since the 17th century, this imposing building with its turrets and pinnacles has dominated a rocky headland surrounded by the waters of Lake Vänern. Having been a centre of architectural and artistic excellence for several decades in the mid 17th century, the castle fell almost completely silent when the illustrious Magnus Gabriel De la Gardie was forced to vacate it after King Karl XI expropriated many of the nobility’s estates in 1681.

A living picture of a classy Baroque residence

In 1998, Nationalmuseum, the Läckö Castle Foundation and the National Property Board gave their backing to a plan to refurnish the empty castle. The aim was to create a living picture of an upper-class residence in the Baroque era. The rooms on the two upper floors have now been filled again with 17th-century furniture, tapestries and paintings.

Läckö’s Treasure Trove

Läckö’s Treasure Trove – luxury items from Sweden’s age of greatness is an exhibition produced by Nationalmuseum and first shown as a summer exhibit in 2006. It is now part of the permanent exhibition at the castle.

Armoury

During Sweden’s age of greatness, hunting was an exclusive form of recreation for the upper classes. Hunting game in the forest was seen as useful practice for princes and noblemen preparing for war. Special rooms were set aside in castles and on large estates, where weapons and armour were displayed to visitors. The armoury at Läckö displays a wide variety of firearms.

Dazzling gardens, café, boat trips

Läckö Castle has dazzling gardens enclosed by high walls, where almond and fig trees, flowers, herbs and vegetables grow. Café Stallet is open daily from 10 am to 8 pm during the summer season. The Fataburen restaurant is open Monday to Saturday, noon to 8 pm. MV Magnus Gabriel operates daily cruises through the Eken archipelago, departing from the pier below the castle.

 

Summer exhibition 2009

Special exhibitions relating to the castle’s history take place every summer. This year’s summer exhibition, Royal Gifts, presents exclusive artifacts from the collections of Nationalmuseum, the Royal Armoury and the Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities. These artifacts are gifts of state: gifts from foreign rulers to Swedish monarchs during Läckö’s glory days (1614–1792). The exhibition also features Kingly Gifts and Mementoes – gifts from monarchs to individuals.

Opening hours, guided tours and information

6 June–23 August: Daily 10 am–6 pm

Guided tours

11 May–5 June: 11 am, noon, 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm, 4 pm
6 June–23 August: 11 am, noon, 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm, 4 pm (Swedish). 11:30 am, 1:30 pm, 3:30 pm (English)
24 August–30 September: Weekdays 11 am, noon, 1 pm, 2 pm. Weekends 11 am, noon, 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm, 4 pm

Exhibition

The summer exhibition, Royal Gifts, is open 6 June–23 August.

Prebook group tours

Tel: +46 510 484660

 www.lackoslott.se


VISITING ADRESS:

Art Library and Museum Archives,
Holmamiralens väg 2,
Skeppsholmen, Stockholm 

Other adresses

Follow us:

Facebooks logotyp  Twitters logotyp  You Tubes logotyp

Instagrams logotyp   Flickr logotyp