Nationalmuseum, Moderna Museet and ArkDes will be closed through April 14
Due to the situation with the new coronavirus, Moderna Museet in Stockholm and Malmö, Nationalmuseum and ArkDes has decided to temporarily close. Moderna Museet and ArkDes, who share facilities in Stockholm, will be closed starting March 19 and Nationalmuseum will close starting March 20, 2020.
Preliminarily, all three museums will remain closed through April 14. All public activities such as lectures, public tours, school tours, workshop activities and booked group tours in the respective museums have already previously been cancelled. The restaurants in the museums will close as well.
The exhibitions which are planned to open during this period will instead welcome visitors when the museums open again.
- It is not compatible to have a museum that is open in a time when we are encouraged to stay at home, says Gitte Ørskou, Museum director at Moderna Museet. So, as things stand right now, the Moderna Museet can no longer be a physically open public place. However, we see art as a place to gain perspective and comfort, and Moderna Museet will continue to evolve as a digital place where we can communicate art in different ways. We will open Moderna Museet as soon as possible and look forward to meeting our visitors again then.
The museums are closely following the developments and hope to welcome visitors again soon. Although the museums are closed they will continue their work, albeit in other forms.
- Museums create important platforms in today’s society. They are important to our identities, not least when society is facing major challenges. We are temporarily closing the museum building now, but we will continue working on building bridges from history to the present and accelerate the collections’ digital accessibility. Nationalmuseum is a museum for everyone - even when the doors are closed, says Susanna Petterson, Museum director at Nationalmuseum.
More news from Nationalmuseum
- New acquisition: Highchair HI 56 by Stig Lönngren and Lars Larsson publicerat 2020-08-12
- Nationalmuseum receives gift of filigree beakers by Rudolf Wittkopf publicerat 2020-07-01
- Nationalmuseum acquires magnificent urn made at the Gustavsberg Porcelain Factory publicerat 2020-06-10
- New Acquisition: Jean Baptiste Oudry's Views from Arcueil publicerat 2020-05-05
- Nationalmuseum acquires a model study by Akseli Gallen-Kallela publicerat 2020-04-06