1989 – culture and politics
The autumn of 2019 will mark the thirty year anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall. It became the political symbol of a political world order that has endured since the end of the second world war. The exhibition examines what took place in the visual culture in the broadest sense in this radical historical period.
It will be a kaleidoscopic blend of popular culture and fine culture which alternates between global perspectives and Swedish micro perspectives. It may for example feature the political resistance movement posters in Hungary and Czechoslovakia, mobile phone design, Jeff Koon’s postmodernism and latterday modernism by Jasper Morrison, music videos by Madonna and Roxette, the emergence of video games, the fashion of large shoulder pads and pastel colours. The exhibition reflects on the shift between the 1980’s and 1990’s as an historical breaking point and the concept of the exhibition theme revolves around terms such as freedom, liberation and the disintegration of borders.
- Standard admission: 150 kr
- Concessions (seniors and students): 120 kr
- Free admission for visitors under 20
- Free admission for members of the Friends of Nationalmuseum
- Free admission, others: ICOM, ICOMOS, SMI, employees at the Central Museums, the press, personal assistants, authorised guides, tour guides and/together with chauffeurs and teachers with a group of pupils. Evidence entitling to free admission must be displayed.
Purchase your ticket in advance
You are welcome to purchase your ticket in advance. Any remaining tickets are sold on site at the museum. Payment by creditcards and swish only. Holders of free passes and others entitled to free admission are welcome to pre-book tickets to the exhibition.
If there is a queue, visitors with free passes, pre-purchased or pre-booked tickets are welcome to the dedicated entrance. Show your ticket and pass to the host or guard on site.
Repurchases and rebookings
Nationalmuseum does not repurchase exhibition tickets. Tickets can be rebooked, to a new date or time slot, via our booking system on the website.